Thursday, November 6, 2008

Apology to Steve

I am sorry that I called Steve Young a Pansy. My definition of a pansy is a guy who is a total whimp. He ignored what he knew to be right, allowed support to be given from his bank account to the opposition. He is a public figure and could have been a much greater influence for good. S0rry to those of you who were offended by my "name calling". Really is was the nicest thing I could come up with. J/K We had to discuss why my family supports 8 with my Gay brother. That was not easy- but it was respectful and although I am sure he wishes things were different, he understands why we stand in favor of the traditional definition of marriage. Is it difficult to see why I would expect the same from others? But you are right- maybe his wife threatened to divorce him if he did not donate 50K to the opposition, I don't know, and I really shouldn't judge.....

10 comments:

Autumn said...

Slymer your funny! You had every right to call him a Pansy or a Whimp. A whimp is someone who can't stand up for themselves or what they believe.

Steve said, "Barb and I and our children love our church and our faith, which allows for a wide diversity of political discourse. In our case, our diversity does not diminish in any way our or my love, respect and sustaining of the leadership of our church, which is deep and profound."

If he and his wife really sustained our leaders they both would of voted YES on PROP 8 like they told us to do. You and I have family and friends that our gay and we still stood up for what we believed in!

Betsy said...

totally agree with Autumn - well written.

natasha said...

to this i remind people, the church does not dictate what we believe or how we believe. we are members of our church because we believe...

slymer said...

As a Member of the Church I Believe in the Proclamation on the Family and I sustained President Monson, who encouraged all members to protect the family...

natasha said...

how do you keep winding up with the same background as me??? :)

Ashlee said...

Jaime - I appreciate the stand you are taking. Thanks for putting yourself out there! I am glad that people fought for the moral aspect of this issue. Thank you for standing up and being counted.

Elise said...

What's the problem people? Seriously! It is a black and white issue. If you sustain the leadership of the church and have a "deep and profound" respect for them, then you do what they asked (not forced) us to do. Yes on prop 8. It's not rocket science.
Steve Young (yes, the football player) is just trying to cover his butt with that statement. You can't claim one thing and then do another. Period.
And Jaime, you can post whatever you want on YOUR blog without having to feel apologetic about it. If others do not agree, then fine. No one is twisting arms to read anyone's blog. And by the way, anyone can start a blog and post their personal opinions on THEIR OWN blog.

Elise said...

Which goes for me too, but since I agree with you I will post away!

Elise said...

Last comment, I promise. Then I will take my own advice and post on my own blog.
I started to feel a little guilty about my last comments because, of course I don't want to anger or offend anyone. Then I thought, "NO, I'm not sorry." Sticking up for what is right, and even being passionate about it is fine. Of course I never want to offend anyone but someone, somewhere is bound to be offended--especially in times like these. It is OK to exercise righteous judgement. At times we MUST judge to protect our families and ourselves from others who are not making wise choices. Example: pedophiles. Are they children of God? Yes. Do I want to be around them? NOPE. Sorry. Too much at stake for my children. I must make a judgement that I feel is best to protect my family.

OK, that was an extrememe example maybe, but on another note, in choosing to vote YES on 8 I wanted to protect my family and the sacred nature of marriage. Although I do not condone homosexual behavior either, I do not judge these individuals as less of a child of God than me.

Excuse me for being passionate about something I have strong religious feelings about. That doesn't make me a hater :)

Ok I'm done. It was great to hang out with you the other day!

carey said...

Amen to Elise! Jaime, it IS your blog. There's no need to apologize!!! People that have such a problem with your opinions need to get a hobby other than nit-picking at yours. ;) Love ya.