Friday, May 1, 2009

Horace Wilcox (Willy)



Grandpa "Willy" as we called him, was laid to rest today in SLC... Thank you so much to the Nash family for making it possible for our entire family to spend some time with him while he was still here and coherent, and Thank You to Chiara for helping Colin get a cheap enough flight to fly up for the second time in a week, to attend his graveside service today. We REALLY appreciate you dear friends. You really are friends when we see you at most once a year- (or less) and you are so willing to help us when we need it.
I really wish I could have gone too- but our kids are just too little and too many to pawn off on people overnight- plus getting to school, and gymnastics, AND soccer camp, etc.... But I met grandpa Willy at the airport when Colin left on his mission. He was so friendly and welcoming, and really helped a somewhat akward situation (I had never met Colin's family before- besides Chris). He was cute and funny, and three years later when Colin and I were engaged, I felt that immediate commraderie when we met again. Plus he called me "that cute girl from the airport". He had the best stories, always kept us guessing and questioning the truthfulness of the whole thing, and I think all of us are really going to miss him!

3 comments:

Nash said...

you are VERY welcome.
that is what friends are for. wish we could see you more.
i am glad it all worked out.
hope colin has a safe trip.
how are you doing all alone with all four?

Chiara said...

Grandparents are the best! Glad we could help out a little bit. Like the Nash family said, "That is what friends are for!" We love you guys!

TulsaT said...

Sorry to hear this, I think it's great that you took all the kids up and they got to meet him and now they have some memories for themselves, or memories you can share when they are older.