Monday, February 2, 2009

Signs To Watch For:

Okay, so last night Rowan spiked a fever of about 103.. which for our family is not THAT high, I mean at 102, Ellie was still playing last year.. but Rowan wasn't. I think I finally got it through my head that the NUMBER DOESN'T MATTER- how they are acting is what matters and Rowan was extremely lethargic and clearly miserable. So I called the doctor in the morning with a suspected Urinary Tract Infection. Here are some things to look for that can indicate a UTI in little girls, which I KNOW and still didn't fully recognize and put together until she spiked a fever...
1. Sometimes she would walk into the bathroom and then say, "I don't want to go potty.." and walk out.  (Hurts to go)
2. She was holding herself in front.. I was thinking that she had to go and was literally "holding it"- no she was holding it because she was uncomfortable..
3. She had two accidents in about an hour. She has only been potty trained about 2 months but has never in that time had accidents that blatant and close together..

4. and finally a FEVER with no other visible symptoms. 

This was my AH HA! moment. So I pushed on her little tummy down low and she immediately said, "Mommy, no do that!" and tensed.  Okay- I have had numerous talks with the urologist because of Elliot's Urinary Reflux. She hasn't had a problem with it, but we go in every year and your child can have a full blown UTI without a fever. With Rowan, we think she may have had this for DAYS before she got the Fever.  Luckily the doctor totally trusted my judgement and that was the first thing we tested and sure enough, the test stick lit up!  Moms- Be more forceful than you are normally because no one else knows your kids the way you do. They are YOUR kids, no one else will do it if you don't. So anyway, just sharing the knowledge, hoping that it will be of help to any of you in the blogging world.

3 comments:

TulsaT said...

Poor baby, I am glad you were right on top of it. She's lucky to have you.

Kath said...

Poor Row Row! I can speak from experience when I say that UTI's are the worst! Sad baby girl. Hope those antibiotics are kicking in soon!

Hansen Family said...

Did you get her tested for reflux also. Poor girl I know how bad those hurt. I feel so bad when my girls get them