Before I forgot I wanted to record the conversation that I had with Noah tonight. I was telling him that his friend was going to spend the night because his mommy had to go to the hospital, early in the morning- (she lost her pregnancy kind of late) and I am pretty open with him, he understands about babies, etc... and he got really sad and said, "Oh, Poor Tessie". Then he got teary, "Mom, what if that happened to Liam?"and I said, "your mommy has been VERY lucky to have four healthy babies, huh? I bet you didn't realize what a lucky kid you are" and he said, "I'm not that lucky because my friend is sad and lost his baby- Mommy, I really wanted to see Austin's baby. I bet she would be so cute when she got big.." Now by this point he was crying real tears of empathy and sadness for a loss that a lot of grown-ups can't conceptualize. But he gets the baby thing having had a brother born so recently.
You know, the kid is rascally, and the biggest mooch of food you will ever meet, but he is so smart, and sensitive, and he really does care and empathize with others. He is exhausting but I am so blessed to have him as my son. We are very lucky and very blessed and although I have been trying not to lately, I know I take it for granted daily. I mean, look at the four of them...
2 comments:
I agree, both about Noah and about the perspective of trying to see the blessings in the midst of peskiness. I keep trying to make myself look up from the peskiness of 5 small overly-energetic kids and see their health, beauty and the true ease of our lives, especially when there are those around us whose lives hurt so very much these days. "my life is easy; my life is easy"--how's that for a mantra?
How sweet.
Good thing we have moments like that to remind us of how grateful we are for our healthy kids.
What is going on, I keep reading about so many lost babies and children on blogs. Makes me so sad.
Post a Comment