I was preparing my lesson for church and got side-tracked by this video on the church website about this mother of 4 who was survived a plane crash but was badly burned. I did and internship in the burn unit and understand that as far as scarring goes- this is the fastest and hopefully worst that it will be for her. I can also understand how fragile all of that scarred tissue is underneath her support hose. A lot of the things she has to do as a mom would cause the tissue to break and cause open sores or fissures.... How hot she would be in those support hose during the summer when she has burnt off a lot of her sweat glands in her skin, plus the added layer. The compression garments provide a ceiling so that the scars cannot continue to get thicker and thicker. She will have to wear them at least 2-3 years following the accident since a person scars and an increasing rate for the first 18 months and then at a decreasing rate for the next 18 months...
She says that her kids were afraid or her. Mine would be... especially Ellie, who doesn't even like my stretch marks.. It is very humbling to imagine being in a similar situation, and how I agonize over such small imperfections right now.
Props to you Stephanie for handling this so well, for not giving up. Some people are saying that she is using her tragedy for personal gain. I say we share her story and help her get more endorsements. Do you know how expensive months in a burn unit can be? Not to mention just the burn scar supports she and her husband have to wear? Lets help- or at the very least, write her a nice letter. Being a mom is hard enough, imagine how much harder it is for her..
4 comments:
I love this post. I wish I could find her blog or somewhere that I could contact her. If you get any of this info, let me know!
So nice to talk to you last week. I'm feeling very "vegas sick" lately, maybe its all the humidity here.
Actually, its the thought of not being able to spend hours by the pool with you that makes me sad. I miss you girl.
There is a button on the sidebar where you can follow her blog!
i have been following her blog for about a year before the accident. i even ran into her at old navy like 6 months before it. she was super nice. she is good friends (in fact her pretend godparents) with a guy i went to HS with. she lived here when it happened and they have alot of family here. i have driven by the house, i was a bit interested i guess. went to the temple for the balloon send off and volunteered at the music even they held with mindy gledhill.
i KNOW you KNOW what kind of stuff she is going through. AWFUL. thanks for your insight. you are right.
Post a Comment