Monday, April 6, 2009

Reflux Twins


So here are my urinary reflux twins..  their degrees of reflux on each side mirror each other... DANG! After a morning of VCUG's which consists of catheters, radiologic dye, x-rays, and then trying to get them to actually void on the x-ray table (the most difficult part for Rowan who has just learned to hold it IN)- it was determined that Elliot still has reflux, it has not gotten better and now we are going to do surgery. There are two types of surgery. One uses stuff they call Deflux that they inject in the lining of the bladders where the valve to the ureters are- it is a same day procedure, minimally invasive, great recovery- and only a 70 percent chance of fixing the problem, plus it requires ANOTHER VCUG to see if it worked. Or there is the traditional surgery in which they cut through the lower abdomen near the pubic bone fix the valves, and it has a 2-3 day hospital stay, some bladder issues until it heals (like a week), and a 98 percent chance of curing the problem. I do not know which one to do. Ellie is constantly doing cartwheels and back bends- I hate to chance any permanent problems with her abs, or have her tear something by forgetting to lay low long enough... But I like the odds on the traditional one... What would YOU do? Rowan will be treated until we know if she grows out of it...

7 comments:

Nash said...

oh my jaime.
i don't know what i would do. most likely the less invasive one. maybe i missed it but they must have serious problems to be considering surgery.
it's so hard being a parent.
i say go with less risk especially one that might prevent her from being who she is.
good luck!

MAM said...

Jaime...if you go with the less invasive one and it is not successful what are your alternatives? I think you might really want to consider the differences in % outcome as is seems like the inconvenient one for a week will lead to better long range outcome...but you will really need to consider a 1 on 1 helper for her while she is lying low...someone to read books, and wait on her so she doesn't get overly active. Love, AUnt Margaret

Hansen Family said...

I don't know what to tell you jaime. I have the same reflux twins at my house and am sure this fall I will be making the same decision with Aspen. I am leaning toward the traditional surgery. I would hate for the other one to not work and just have to go back in for surgery later.

Kath said...

Sad! Those cute little faces shouldn't be dressed in hospital gowns!

Alison said...

Tough decision. My neice had surgery on her kidneys and they did a small incision on her belly and it healed perfectly. She was 2 though so it was easier to keep her still. Can you do both? Try the first and if it doesn't work go for the real surgery deal?

Nat said...

Wow, they really couldn't look any cuter sportin those gowns, it makes me miss my VCUG days just a little! I didn't know there was an alternative to the reimplant surgery. I kinda think that 70% chance is worth a try, what do you have to lose? If it doesn't work then go for reimplantion. Keep me posted!

Nichole said...

Jamie...one of my twins had it too. We chose the surgery because her grade was so high. She was a teeny weeny but th elittle thing was jumping in her crib the next day or so...the nurses never said she couldn't. It is a hard decsion but their little kidneys are soooo important. BTW the little cut was very low & very tiny. She did great! Your doc probablly said the same thing...but ours said it runs in families so we may need to watch our other girls too. I believe boys can have it but they don't get infections like girls...so it isn't usually a problem. I think this is more common than I thought...I have a few friends who have kids with it too! Good luck making a decsion.